Wednesday, January 12, 2011

belated resolutions

I've never been one to make resolutions or goals much less keep resolutions or goals, but this year I'm determined to change some things about myself and in turn hopefully my life. In doing so, I hope to instill some better habits, traits, and/or characteristics in my family around me.  Some of the ways I currently do things don't really please me so I'm determined from here on out. I've been thinking of a few of these since the new year but just haven't really defined them entirely or written them down. In revealing them here, I hope to hold myself a little more accountable and actually accomplish something. So here goes...

1. Be a better me.
This is more of an ongoing resolution/challenge. Who doesn't aspire to be a better person? Give more. Try harder. Be kind. Do the extra little things that make a difference.

2. Organize and schedule. Everything.
You would imagine with 6 children the routine or schedule in this house would be almost perfected by now. And you would be mistaken. Example: Almost every Sunday as we're loaded up and driving the 5 blocks to church we say... we're always late! We have to be one of the closest families to church! This is very aggravating to say the least. My goal/resolution entails being more organized and scheduled so we don't rush everywhere. So when we get home the house isn't a complete disaster from the tornado that hit it when we left. So I remember school activities before they happen. So our finances are in order. So I can relax at the end of the day instead of worrying about a million things I need to or should do. So I can remember. Period. In setting this goal/resolution, I hope it carries over and helps me to be a better me and remember and actually dot he little things I always want to do but always, ALWAYS forget. My intentions are always good but I fail to accomplish 98% of the things I want to do on a daily basis.

3. Read.
And by read I don't mean the weekly church bulletin or the newspaper. I want to read 2 books a month. This is a very lofty goal considering I'm not sure the last time I read a book cover to cover. I have a hard time even finding time to read a magazine from start to finish. If I sit down and read when I make the kids read, there really is no excuse. We have an entire shelf of books waiting for me!

4. Exercise.
After the recent birth of our SIXTH child, I've sorta kinda wanted to shed some extra pounds ;) I know, I know... most of your are gagging right now because the thought of losing weight isn't appealing. And hearing about someone making exercise and dieting a New Year's resolution is even less appealing. Here's the thing... I don't diet. I don't exercise. I just don't do it. This resolution is more for Dave. He wants to exercise more and I promised we could do some Wii Fit workouts together or maybe some bowling on the Wii. Our local high school also has a family night in the pool so this might get worked in to the resolution but no promises because getting me in a swim suit is not going to be an easy task. This might be the extent of my exercise resolution... more to come on that. ;)

So... those are my resolutions, goals, ambitions... and now I have to be accountable... yikes! I hope all of you have thought about doing something to better yourself this year, whatever it may be. Best of luck in your 2011 endeavors!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck, Court!! I've got a few resolutions of my own (although I don't like to call them that). I know you can do it!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you did it...you put them in black and white....and for others to see. I'm too scared to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! I'm a little scared myself... can only get better I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney I'm So proud of you. You are a great inspiration and I love you for that. I to have made myself some resolutions and my goal is to be the best person I can be to my family and to myself. I am also accountable to make this happen and I am so determined to do just that. Thank You Courtney for being such a wonderful daughter and mother to my Grandchildren.Mama Smith

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is TOTALLY doable. Maybe enlist Gina for some help...seriously...I need her help;) Two TIPS: 1/ cut down the books to one a month. 2/ buy a swim suit skirt;)
    Otherwise..>TOTALLY doable!!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - all doable but I also recommend cutting down to 1 book/month. And for that resolution, I have a few recommendations from my book club to set you off right. If you read unsatisfactory books in the beginning you'll probably be more likely to leave this resolution by the wayside. So...

    The Help
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (funny name but one of the most charming books I've ever read!)
    Sarah's Key
    No one Knows my Name
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (I'm reading this now but it's a bit slow)
    The Last Chinese Chef (especially great if you enjoy cooking)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...