Sunday, December 19, 2010

part 1 - labor and delivery... sorta

This post is long over due but... we've been busy ;)

Let me begin this post with a confession... I wasssss going to get an epidural. I was. The thing is... maybe I'm stubborn or maybe I'm a little crazy but it didn't happen. Again.

Rewinding a bit... Friday, December 10 started out as an ordinary day. Morning potty break was a little early at 1:30 a.m. (ish) but nothing too alarming. A little out of the ordinary were the Braxton Hicks that were a little more painful and I couldn't sleep through them. Now... keep in mind my water broke 6 days early with Tayt and Nash was an induction 6 days late where the doc broke my water to start labor so it had been over 5 years since my labor started "normally" with contractions first. Unable to sleep I got dressed, woke Dave up to join the fun, and did as much cleaning and folding of laundry around the house as I could to keep me busy and my mind off the inevitable to come.

Fast forward through the morning... after about the billionth potty break for the morning, I sat down at the computer, had another contraction, and wet my pants... a lot. Nice. Having known from Tayt's labor, I knew this was just a "slow leaker." After making arrangements for the sitter to come (Mallory), calling Dave who came home immediately, and going through a run around with the clinic, we were on our way to have a baby by 11:15 a.m. I'll have to admit, I was a little nervous because usually water breaking means baby is coming. Fast. I told Dave I did NOT want to be the woman delivering a baby on the side of the road so we hurried.

After confirmation of water breaking and a nice wheelchair ride, there I was... laying in a bed in Labor & Delivery Suite #1. No turning back now. A visit from Dave's mom and a family friend, introduction by the physician, and FOUR IV pokes later, I was uncomfortable enough to tell Dave... "maybe we can try this epidural thing." I'm calling it a moment of weakness. After being at the hospital for only a total of 1 to 1-1/2 hours, the cut off number in my head was 5... so when the doc came in and told me "you're a 7 to 8," I literally told her to SHUT UP! Pppsssttttt.... this is going to be a breeeeeze. Bring it on. Let's do this!

Another fast forward through the next TWOOOOO hours full of manipulating, pushing, tears, and comments such as "I can't do this!" and "It's never coming out!" Turns out baby's head was turned ever so slightly thus not dilating my cervix fully on one side and creating a rim, a.k.a. pain before death, so I really worked for this one. I now know how a "normal" delivery goes. Lucky me!

After baby decided to turn it's head, we went back to MY "normal" 10-minute delivery. Thank God!

Start to finish... approximately 14-1/2 hours... almost 6 hours longer than my last labor, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Drew Elise - December 10, 2010 - 3:51 p.m. - 7 lbs 0.6 oz - 21 inches

Nothing in the world beats those first minutes. Melts my heart every time. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...